Central to any functioning economy is a solid foundation. It is crucial to recognise that the elements
often taken for granted in developed countries are largely absent in the markets we serve. For instance,
modern energy systems remain inaccessible to almost 50% of all Africans. Even the most advanced African
economies face significant challenges with energy security, grappling with frequent rolling blackouts,
inadequate grid infrastructure and insufficient and unreliable energy supply options. Without the basic
assurance of energy and electricity security, productivity stalls and economies struggle to grow.
For economies to function optimally, certain enabling dimensions must be in place. These dimensions can
be broadly categorized as follows:
- Capital: Sufficient financial resources are essential for investment and economic
- Infrastructure: This encompasses various facets, including energy, ports, roads,
connectivity infrastructure. A well-developed infrastructure network is vital for facilitating
business operations and enabling economic development.
- People: Building human capacity, skills, and expertise is necessary for
sustainable economic growth
and development. Investing in the development of a skilled workforce is a necessary aspect of
- Legislative and Policy Mechanisms: The presence of supportive legislation and
encourage investment and facilitate growth that balances public good with investor certainty.
- Regulatory Mechanisms: Balancing the needs of businesses and protecting the public
requires effective regulatory mechanisms. These mechanisms should enable a conducive business
environment while ensuring public welfare.
- Governance Institutions: Establishing capable and well-equipped governance
essential for executing mandates effectively and efficiently.
- Markets and Access to Markets: Accessible and robust markets play a pivotal role
in driving trade
and fostering economic development.
At AIA, our Foundations Practice focuses on addressing these fundamentals in a holistic and coherent
manner. We bridge the gap between technical expertise and high-level strategic vision, ensuring that the
necessary details for execution align with long-term decision-making needs.
With our local presence, we conduct rigorous and relevant analysis, including:
Market analysis: This involves sizing and forecasting long-term demand, providing
- Techno-economic studies: We conduct comprehensive studies for energy,
petrochemicals, midstream and
downstream oil & gas, roads, rail, and port infrastructure development projects.
- Energy Modelling: We are a licensed Plexos user, having modelled electricity and
within the SADC region in particular.
- Stakeholder analysis: We delve into stakeholder engagement strategies and execute
to foster collaboration and support.
- Regulatory analysis: We assess the regulatory landscape to ensure compliance and
- Competitor analysis: We study the competitive landscape to identify opportunities
effective market entry or product establishment strategies.
- Pricing models: We develop pricing models tailored to new market entries or the
introduction of new
products in existing markets.
Additionally, our extensive work with government entities across the Southern African Development
Community (SADC) region has provided us with a unique perspective on government operations. Some of our
government-focused projects include:
Strategy and policy development: We assist in formulating strategies and policies
Organisational development and restructuring: We contribute to building good
public sector entities, fostering efficiency and accountability.
Digital transformation: We facilitate the transition to digital processes within
streamlining operations and enhancing service delivery.
Service delivery improvements: We identify opportunities to improve service
delivery at the local
government level, enhancing citizen satisfaction.
Capacity development interventions: We undertake large-scale interventions to
capacity within government entities.
Culture transformation and change management: We guide cultural and organisational
initiatives to foster a conducive environment for growth.
Our integrated approach combines the necessary soft and hard capabilities to establish the foundations
upon which businesses and organizations can truly thrive.